Sanity or Patience: choose one.

Do you ever have one of those moments where you think, "HA! I am sane!" Then you step in dog poo with your bare feet and remember it was your idea to get the puppy...?

Friday, March 20

Sunny-Side-Up

Tiffany over at The R Family Diaries is hosting an optimism contest today, so I've been twiddling ideas in my head all week, looking for things that might be humorously (or cynically, if you will) optimistic. What I finally posted about isn't really funny and is a little sappy, which isn't my usual thing.
*
My husband grew up "mayonnaise sandwich for dinner" poor - sometimes without the bread, and that's only if you got to it before the jar was empty.
Optimism was never part of his vocabulary. His high school "counselor" even told him not to worry about college, that "it just isn't for you" when Hubby inquired about applications. (Yes I am serious!). That was pretty much my husband's attitude - he just wasn't good enough to do what he wanted to do, so he settled for a "no brains required" existence.
*
At the end of '07, he lost his miserable job (he hated it there, but it paid all our bills). Scary, yes - but it was just the kick in the groin he needed. He left that crappy place he hated and marched straight over (okay, he meandered over, nervous and insecure all the way down to his tippie toes) to the nearest college and signed up for classes. The first couple quarters were rough - heck, they were so awful he ended up changing his major. But he had finally FINALLY figured out the key: he was the only person putting limits on his life! So he kept at it. This summer, he will graduate in a field he loves. Oh, the power of Positive thinking!
*

This story is one that I felt suited the message Fishful Thinking is putting across. It doesn't matter who you are or where you're going, a sunny-side-up attitude will help you get there
**To enter, click on over to the CONTEST to vote (for me if you like this).**
***Click the FISH to see how you can inspire optimism in kids***

22 comments:

I Am Who I Am said...

I wish I had his balls...figuratively speaking. ;-) I SO would love to go to college. I'm too damn scared of failure though.

Funny in My Mind said...

good for him!!! You can do anything you put your mind to (sound like mom)

Annelie said...

Good for him! That is so fabulous!
Since I've also gone back to school as an adult, I totally get the "rough parts".
This story really made me smile tonight, thanks for sharing <3

Carrie said...

Congratulations to your Hubby! That is an awesome accomplishment. He rose above it all and I think that is amazing!

Unknown said...

Your husband is truly an inspiration, congrats to him for this major accomplishment. And congrats to you for being a featured blogger today at "Little Miss Sunshine."

Call Me Cate said...

Congrats to your husband. It's scary to make a change like that so good for him. And for you. Happy husband helps make happy wife!

theUngourmet said...

This is a great post! It's terrific that your husband took a risk and chose to follow his dream. :0)

jewelrybyrebecca said...

AWESOME!!! kuddos to the hubby!

Amy said...

Hello I did this post also. I love your points also. Plus you are a feature today on Patty's blog. Way to go.

said...

KUDOS to your husband!!

Anonymous said...

My husband went to college to finish his Bachelors after we got married and had two kids. It was rough, on us all, but he perservered and completed his task. And he doesn't regret it one little bit.

Sassy Britches said...

That's fabulous! I bet you're so proud, as he probably is too!

I love that you said "groin." That completes my day.

Unknown said...

Good for him! Glad he broke out of that rut! :)

scrappysue said...

totally agree. thanks for the blogby

CG said...

That was a great story! One that I can really relate to in my own personal experience...well save for the mayo sandwiches. By the way, thanks for commenting on my blog and being a huge supporter of my sister Joan of All Trades!!

Diva Scrapper said...

Congrats to your hubby...it's never too late for anyone and no one is beneath education. Thank you for sharing.

Susie said...

I love all the optimism I am seeing on the blogosphere the last couple days!! Negativity has no place in my life anymore!!

Queenie Jeannie said...

I love all this Fishful Thinking!!!

Wonderful story!

Donnetta said...

Way to go, hubs! What a fantastic role model he is! Heading over to vote for you, chicka!

Megan said...

Congrats to your hubby! Way cool! =D

AndreaLeigh said...

congrats to your hubby! what a success story!

just wanted to remind you my blog has moved to www.mychihuahuabitesblog.com

Tiffany said...

This is fabulous. What a terrific story.