Sanity or Patience: choose one.

Do you ever have one of those moments where you think, "HA! I am sane!" Then you step in dog poo with your bare feet and remember it was your idea to get the puppy...?

Friday, October 9

Rejected

Not long ago, I was rejected. It wasn't a typical rejection. No, I wasn't out on the town, it wasn't an awful manuscript, it wasn't even a job application. I was rejected on Facebook. A message arrived at my inbox with a simple "no thank you" in the header. No body, just the header. And the rejection.

Now, I'm your typical Mrs. Kravitz type stalker (Bewitched, anyone?). I am nosy. What are these people I used to see every day in high school up to? Are they married? How many times? Do they have cute kids? How many? Are they still cool? Still not cool? No judgements, I just want to know.

Can you say busybody?

I went on a bit of a wine-induced friend-requesting rampage one evening, curious to see what a few of these newbie Facebookers have been up to in the last decade plus. Well. I found something else out. Grudges hold weight over the internet, but at least they are polite.

It did make me think, though. Was I a mean girl? I think I might have been, but that's a post for another day.

So tell me, why do you Facebook? Are you nosy like me or do you just enjoy the *gasp* apps? (In which case, I'll try not to judge you. My husband simply asks that you don't send me anymore virtual drinks. My internet buzz is apparently no excuse for dancing on the kitchen table and passing out before he can get lucky).

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I spy. Can't help it. It's addictive and I've always been nosy so I look up people I know, people I didn't get along with in high school, people who dated my brother's best friend five years ago.. you get the picture. I love to read other people's quotes. Not only are they humorous, they usually give more insight about the person than the dumb stuff they write in "About Me." Feel better?

Call Me Cate said...

I *hate* the apps. I joined because Joe joined and I wanted to make sure he was properly "married" on there. I really kinda hate it and think it's more trouble that it's worth so I don't spend much time on Facebook.

Sorry you were rejected. I'd send them a virtual punch in the face.

Sassy Britches said...

I hate apps! I always ignore them.

I got on to be nosy parker too. However, I've recently gotten off the Facebook loop and haven't been stalking people as much, and now my BFF knows everything about everybody. I have to get back in the game and make more of an effort to be a "good friend!"

Sheesh. It's like high school all over again!

Corinne Cunningham said...

I have a love hate relationship with facebook... and have gone on many a wine induced friend requesting evenings :)

Lora said...

I facebook stalk, but in my opinion if it's out there for us to see....

And I love the games. Some of them at least!

Just say Julie said...

I joined up at first because I live so far away from most of my family and it let me share stuff with them. Then I found some high school and college friends. Then I discovered bejeweled blitz and couldn't quit if I tried.

Amy said...

Oh I will be your friend. So if you say no they send you a rejection. Oh my. Come find me and I will be your friend. Have a great day.

Unknown said...

I've been there with the rejection, but never the "no thanks". That's pretty harsh! I'd be your friend! Wait, are we friends already? I can't remember. I'm obviously a bad FB friend. At least I don't send out those darn apps!

wendy said...

I'm a bit of a creeper. I will totally admit it. I want to see what my old Grammar School and High School friends are up to...very much like you.

I like the apps, too. I'm finding FB to be a full-time job, what with my Sorority and Modeling agency to maintain, my farm is a plum mess, and I'm addicted to several games! :)

I did have a girl from Grammar school find me and friend me, only to "unfriend" me shortly thereafter. WTH?!

Michelle said...

Too funny. I don't think I've gotten that email, but I know there are people who haven't mutually friended me (going both ways). But no apps. I hate the apps, and I hate seeing what people are doing on their apps. But I am interestd in seeing what people are up to and rekindling some friendships that I let fade. But I don't have much time to spend on it... and that's ok.

Grand Pooba said...

Hahaha! I love you! I think I've got a lot of catching up to do on my internet buzz!

I too am a freakin spy. I must know what all these people are doing, what they look like, if their married, if they have kids, if their bald, fat, ugly, skinny. I'm bad.

Jana said...

LOL! I can't really see anyone saying 'no thanks' to you though? You were always nice all through school! I agree though, I like to see what people are up to. I like it because I get to reconnect with people that I did lose touch with after HS. I enjoy FB! And those damn games....well that's a whole other topic in itself! :)

Julia said...

WOW! I am surprised at a rejection. I mean you can just "ignore" and get the same effect. No need to be all bi##@Y about it.

Facebook is only good for a quick check in like you are saying. Honest snooping is OK in my book.

Hyacynth said...

I hate the apps, but I love being able to keep up with my college friends. We use it to micro blog.
Also, it's not cyber spying if you put it out there for everyone to see, right? lol

Whiney Momma said...

Ha ha...I do it to catch up with old friends too but I have been rejected too and I am definitely bitter. The persons who rejected me had no reason to reject me so they are in my bad book (speaking of mean girls : )