Sanity or Patience: choose one.

Do you ever have one of those moments where you think, "HA! I am sane!" Then you step in dog poo with your bare feet and remember it was your idea to get the puppy...?

Monday, September 19

Bad Mommy: I was never a star student


Screaming, for me, is a regular element in the finishing of course work. It's been that way since first grade - or whenever it was we started learning about math (math is stupid, by the way).

In elementary, it often went like, "I HATE math! I hate YOU! I'm stupid! I don't WANT to do it! I don't CARE!!!" At the time, I probably would rather have lived in a box and had no parents than actually sit down and think about subtracting 3 from 7.

In Junior High, it went more like, "I HATE math! I hate YOU! I'm stupid! I don't WANT to do it! I don't CARE!!!" At that time, I definitely would rather have lived in a box and had no parents. Except for the box part - I needed my curling iron and hair spray.

High School was a little different. "I hate EVERYTHING! I hate YOU! YOU'RE stupid! I don't CARE!!!" I did actually move out for a couple of days - not to a box, but it might as well have been. I still didn't care if I had parents, but they did buy my Guess Jeans, so I didn't stay gone long.

Now, as an adult going back to school, things have changed just a tad. There's less blaming of my parents, and boxes don't hold the same intrique; but there's still yelling, more eloquent "bleeping," and sometimes I throw things.

Today, Monsoon said to me, "I'm sorry you're computer doesn't work when you want it to, Mommy. But maybe you should get off those not-nice-words when you're angry."

I feel like I should probably set a better example of how you're supposed to behave while studying. Or maybe he'll make a note of not being an idiot like his mother?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! lol

Good luck. It's difficult to go back to school, but it can be very rewarding.

Call Me Cate said...

What I find fascinating is how completely different my approach is to schoolwork now. I want to do everything just right. I feel obligated to actually complete assignments and do a good job. I don't want to skip over anything and I get upset if I don't do well. Somewhere in the last decade, I've become THAT student. I don't get it.

But you're right - math IS stupid. Once Monsoon starts in with math, I'm sure he'll understand that.

Working Mommy said...

I used to love math...and science (odd, I know)...but I still acted like a "B" to my parents. It is a phase we all go through I suppose...hopefully my kids skip that stage!

wm