Sanity or Patience: choose one.

Do you ever have one of those moments where you think, "HA! I am sane!" Then you step in dog poo with your bare feet and remember it was your idea to get the puppy...?

Thursday, September 17

I never knew I had it in me

Warning: it gets kind of gory in paragraph 3.

I'm the girl who screams at the sight of a spider. I'm not brave or tough, nor do I care to be. That's what husbands are for... or so I thought, until our little family of three went out to do some landscaping on the side of our house this summer.

Me with my shovel and Monsoon with his dirt, we were set. Husband had to pull out the giant azalea bush - the one I killed last summer - as it was too big for me to rip from the ground. I was coaxing Monsoon to get his hands dirty when my husband flung the big ball of dead plant into the air. Along with bugs o'plenty, he saw something scurry up onto the top of the dirt and let out of a kind of man-squeal.

Que Super-Mommy adrenaline/protection mode. In one quick instant, without even thinking, I raised the shovel like a javelin and caught the critter spot on, chopping it completely in half. The poor mole never saw it coming.

My husband might be sleeping with one eye open now, but he doesn't worry about us when he isn't home. He just bought me a clean shovel to keep under the bed.

9 comments:

Jen said...

My Sister did the very same thing but to a gofer and I was there to witness it! I have to say I saw her in a whole new light! I didn't know she had it in her! I guess a mother's got to do what she has to do!!

Hyacynth said...

Mother's instinct to care for her young is stronger than most anything I've ever experienced.

Michelle said...

Nicely done! I'm quite impressed. Moles are hard to get rid of, but that will definitely do it. Here's hoping you scared off all his brethren!

Julia said...

You are a primitive hunter!! Seriously. I am totally unsurprised since most of us are capable of much more than we think. Congrats on your new found "She-rah" ;)

Jenny-Jenny said...

Whew. Thank goodness for the new one under the bed.

Kathy B! said...

Wanna sleep over at my house when DH is out of town?!

Debbie said...

You go, girl! I love a woman who can handle a shovel.

Unknown said...

I just knew this was going to be a snake story. I'm not sure a mole is any better, but hey, moley wouldn't have bitten with venom... Doubt if I'd have had the guts!

Sassy Britches said...

Woman, you are a goddess. I bow down to you.