Dorothy has been especially helpful.
- She reuses. Why, just a few days ago I found her using our bathroom hand towels to give herself a whore bath. (Sorry, Earth, but I'm going to have to put a stop to this one).
- She saves water. Like I mentioned above, whore bath. She also refuses to wash her hands. (Again, Earth, my apologies. We're going to have to fix this.)
- She insists on wearing the same clothes day after day. She also tries to hide her plastic panties (diapers) in her shirt drawer so that she can reuse them night after night. Isn't that helpful? (Dear Earth, I realize you are appreciative of Dorothy's efforts, but I may go insane).
Some of us are trying to help out on a more practical level.
- It's tough, I know, but we use the dishwasher. Saves more water than hand-washing.
- We keep the tv off until after Monsoon goes to sleep, with the exception of his daily cartoon when I take a shower.
- The trampoline! It's more fun than a video game and ensures that the boy will actually sleep when he's supposed to. Bonus: it ensures that I can sleep when I'm supposed to. Take that, insomnia!
- I put our reusable water bottles to use. Not only do they hold more water than the plastic throw-away kind, it's fun to watch Dorothy struggle to figure how to use the pop-up top.
- Most of our household cleaners have been replaced with environmentally friendly ones, which is especially nice since I find myself disinfecting EVERYTHING several times a day (see Dorothy's bullets above as to why).
- We're planting our own veggies this year, and even trying out starting them from seeds. If it works (and by "works" I mean if I remember to water them and transplant them into the garden outside before they die), we will have saved the planet from a few dozen plastic seedling containers from the garden center.
It doesn't seem like much, but every little bit helps. What are you doing for our planet?