Sanity or Patience: choose one.

Do you ever have one of those moments where you think, "HA! I am sane!" Then you step in dog poo with your bare feet and remember it was your idea to get the puppy...?

Monday, January 12

Tip O' The Mornin' To Ya

In the spirit of healthy living in the new year, I'm posting what I think may have been a secret of success for ice cream lovers everywhere. At least, it was a secret well-kept from me until recently.

If you cut up a banana, freeze it for an hour or so, then put it in a blender (or food processor, which works much better), do you know what you get? Banana ice cream!

There is more great news, since some of us (ME) wouldn't consider a banana, no matter the consistency, any form of treat substitute. You can make multiple flavors of ice cream with that one little gem of a trick.

  1. Strawberry ice cream: Add a cup of frozen/halved strawberries to it.
  2. Chocolate ice cream: Sprinkle in some cocoa/sugar (or splenda, etc...) mix into it
  3. Peanut Butter ice cream: Throw in a scoop of PB
  4. Other ideas: Add frozen peaches/ blueberries/ lemon juice/ corn/ peas/ spinach..
Oh, am I getting carried away? At least you're paying attention.
Maybe don't try the veggies?
*
Liquid As Needed: You'll want to pour in some milk and/or yogurt, depending on the additions you made and the consistency you want. (You don't need any for the plain banana ice cream)
Extras:
  • For an added health benefit, I sometimes blend in some low-fat ricotta.
  • If you use yogurt, try a Greek style for extra protein and less sugar.
  • Anyone who likes chunks of berries in your ice cream, save some til last and stir them in so they don't get pureed.
  • As an extra sweet bonus, blend in a tiny bit of sugar or splenda or whatever you use.
  • Top off a sundae with "low sugar" or "added calcium" varieties of chocolate syrup, a squirt of light real whipped cream, and a sprinkle of slivered almonds or chopped walnuts
  • Make a smoothie w/ fruit juice instead of milk (I was kidding about the spinach above, but you can actually use green juice and a tiny bit of vanilla in a smoothie and it tastes good).
  • Use leftover ice cream (if you have any, which you probably won't) for popsicles.

I had strawberry ice cream for breakfast today. No, I didn't share - I waited til the boys left the house before I made it! And no, I'm not awful. I made extra for popsicles. It will probably be Monsoon's lunch since he only eats the rolls at preschool (how can I blame him when he tells me, "You make the best food, Mommy. I don't yike yunch at schoo-ahh"). Yeah, of course I had to add some cuteness to this very un-cute but healthy post.

No comments: