Sanity or Patience: choose one.

Do you ever have one of those moments where you think, "HA! I am sane!" Then you step in dog poo with your bare feet and remember it was your idea to get the puppy...?

Tuesday, May 19

TAT: Popping the (other) Question

Hooray! Tova Darling is hosting Totally Awkward Tuesdays, complete with Mr. Linky, even while she's away - that girl is totally with it, I tell you. Go visit and play along!

I mentioned in yesterday's post that I was 19 when the hubs and I got married. I don't know about everywhere else, but in our church at the time, it was required that we have "counselling" meetings with Pastor before he agreed to marry us. I'd been going to this church for years and was quite close with Pastor and his family, so I wasn't nervous or anything.

So we go to our session, he's asking all the normal questions (why do you want to get married? Will you be tithing? etc...). Then he starts fidgeting, stops making eye contact and asks one more question. "Do you have to get married?"

Me: (alarmed) "No. We want to."

Pastor: "Yes, but do you have to?"

Me: (totally not getting why he keeps asking us this) "No. We want to."

At this point, hubs is looking at me really funny, his eyes are twitching and he's all trying to convey some secret code that I totally don't understand.

Me: (to hubs) "What? We don't have to! Nobody's making us!"

Now I'm starting to get flustered - did hubs NOT want to marry me? Was Pastor trying to change our mind? We were weeks from the wedding, what was going on!?

Hubs: "Hon, he means... (looks at my belly) ...do we have to."

Ding! Ding! Ding! I must have turned ten shades of blush.

Me: "NO!!!! I swear! No! We've been planning this wedding since last summer... I swear... you can ask my mom!"

It was totally awkward. Partly because I was an idiot, partly because dear, sweet pastor asked that question.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's kinda funny!! :D

Here's one for ya: When I got married to the ex..we had to. Well, you know..we didn't HAVE to but the family pressured us. So, we were married 1 month before our first child was born...

We didn't have the counseling back then..OMG!!! I sound SO old!!! LOL They actually started the counseling stuff a year or two after we were already married..

ah...to do life over at times! lol

theUngourmet said...

Just a little awkward!

Yes, these cupcakes are fun to make with the kiddos!

Xazmin said...

That's too funny! I was also 19 when I got married!

Hyacynth said...

Haha. Awww. You were 19! It's certainly OK to be a little oblivious to stuff at 19. (Or 26 in my case.) Doesn't make it any less awkward, but it definitely makes it explainable.

Jenny-Jenny said...

I guess no matter how young you are it's important for clergy to ask that. Way to go on being naive!

Megan said...

heehee Oh yes. We got that dreaded question as well, but he actually *asked* us, didn't hint around to it. Definitely awkward!

Jennifer said...

I'm sure that is one of his totally awkard moments as well.

Anonymous said...

Haha funny. I probably wouldn't have gotten it either. but honestly I don't like that he assumed that. Maybe because of your age I guess.

Michelle said...

Oh that's hilarious! Poor guy, having to ask that question. Ironically, my husband and I got engaged, met with the priest at our church, arranged our meeting with the local couple and personality testing... and then a few months later had an oops. But since we were already in the process, the priest had no issues. I LOVE that you didn't get it. That alone should have been the pastor's tipoff!

Molly said...

Wow. Can't believe he asked you that! We did have counseling from our Pastor...the day before the wedding! Nothing like waiting till the last minute!

Sassy Britches said...

I wonder what his answer was supposed to be if you had said "yes"?