Sanity or Patience: choose one.

Do you ever have one of those moments where you think, "HA! I am sane!" Then you step in dog poo with your bare feet and remember it was your idea to get the puppy...?

Sunday, August 16

Why I don't write: real life scenarios

  • My house is disgusting, Sprinkles is attention deprived, husband wants my help, but I don't care. Monsoon finally took a nap for the first time in 7 months and I know I have at least 45 minutes to scribble out the story idea that's been on my mind since last Tuesday. I'm picking up the pen!
  • Husband, wonderful husband, is taking Monsoon with him to a family event out of state. They will stay all weekend! I'll have mid-Friday through mid-Sunday to revise/edit/write new material AND take a break for poker night. I even cleaned the house on Thursday.
  • Woo-hoo! My parents offered to keep Monsoon overnight. We'll order take-out and Hubs can do homework while I write. Perfection.
  • Hubs is working on the truck, Monsoon went to sleep early, I have a couple hours left of the day before my head turns to mush. Hello paper, hello pen, hello warm summer evening on the deck with wine. I'm ready.
These are only a few examples from the last two weeks. I get off to a great start, but inevitably the dog will throw up on my pants or hubs will rent a carpet-cleaner or my baby will get sick or something, SOMETHING will happen before anything is written.

Blogging? Blogging is different. It's fast. It's real.

I can't sit down and come up with a couple hundreds words of fiction in twenty (or two) minutes. So I blog, because I have to write something. Right now, though... it's just not enough. I'm frustrated and pissy and all the ideas in my head feel like they're going to explode in there if I don't let them out.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually keep a list of my ideas in my head. Actually several lists. One of my computer, one in my phone, and one on the tissue box in my car. ;)

Annelie said...

I hope you find some time to write soon, before your head explodes!

Kathy B! said...

Eeek! Don't let your head explode... it won't be pretty.

Maybe write down some vague ideas. When my head gets too full I start to forget all the "great ideas" I had...

Sassy Britches said...

Voice recorder. Run, don't walk, to get one. Carry it in your pocket to spew out things when you get a moment. You can translate later!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

If your head explodes you'll be further derailed by having to it clean up...

I can't imagine how any mom finds time to really really write...

Good luck...

Michelle said...

I live where you live.

I have come to leave the door open all night so the puppy will poo outside and I still wake up to a mess in the living room! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Corinne Cunningham said...

There's always something... I keep telling myself I'll do some real writing once the kids start school. Hope you find some time soon :)

Michelle said...

Doesn't a writing retreat sound lovely right now? And oh so unrealistic? Good luck finding that time -- for everything!

Carma Sez said...

wishing I had lots of ideas in my head :D

Maybe you can go on sabbatical to some cottage near a beach somewhere. (I saw that on Oprah once ;-)